Monday, August 3, 2009

Spaghetti Pie

Yumm! What do you do with leftover spaghetti and no interest in cooking dinner. Well, I've been dying to try this new recipe I found for Spaghetti Pie from Deceptively Delicious. Of course, I added my own twist. Here's what I did:

SPAGHETTI PIE
Ingredients (approximates)
1 cup leftover spaghetti
1 cup leftover spaghetti sauce w/ meat & veggies
1 cup cottage cheese
1/2 cup fresh shredded squash
1 cup mozzarella
8 meatballs (Trader Joe's frozen)

Directions
1. Preheat oven to 350'.
2. In a 9" pie plate covered with plastic tupperware lid, warm up the meatballs 1-2 minutes in a microwave.
3. In a large bowl, stir the cooked pasta, spaghetti sauce, cottage cheese and squash. Spoon the mixture into the pie plate and mix with meatballs. Smooth over the top and sprinkle with mozzarella.
4. Bake 25-30 minutes uncovered until the center is firm and the cheese is bubbly.


I accompanied this dish with some homeade garlic bread and mini-bagels. Hubby tought me this trick, to make any bread, delicious garlic bread.


GARLIC BREAD
Ingredients
Bread of your choice
Butter
Olive Oil
Garlic
Garlic Salt
Parsley or Oregano

Directions
1. In a small bowl, mix mainly butter, dash of olive oil, pinch of garlic salt, pinch of parsley and a good 1/4 tsp or more of crushed garlic. Make enough to spread over the bread you have chosen.
2. Spread heapingly onto bread & toast


This dinner was a success. Not only because it took me almost no time to prepare, but also because it freed up some much needed room in the refrig. And there is nothing I like more than putting my leftovers into use. Waste not, want not... someone once told me. I guess you never forget some of those things your parents tell you. Anyways, it said it feeds 8-10, but we ate heartily and my toddler & 1 year old only had a few bites, but it is more than half gone.

For those of you wondering about the spaghetti sauce. I make mine fresh, from scratch every week or so. Will share the recipe later. Always have leftovers, and never follow the same recipe. So if you aren't as bold, use any premade spaghetti sauce meat or no meat, you'll have plenty of deliciousness regardless!

No comments:

Post a Comment