Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Potato Mushroom Gratin with Chicken



No sooner did I scrape my plate clean than I jumped to the computer to share this recipe. Seriously, this is one of those easy peasy recipes that seem like you've been slaving away all day in the kitchen. So when you get the accolades, and you will, just say thanks and be at peace because you still have energy to make dessert if you want!

This recipe starts from one I found in my Nigella Express Cookbook, by my favorite foodie, Nigella Lawson. She emphasizes using your preference in the ingredients and amounts, things can be substituted easily and added just as quick. So although, her original recipe was much easier. I found myself at a loss for protein and wanted to make use of the leftover Rotisserie Chicken I picked up at Costco a few days ago. Here's how I adapted her recipe.


POTATO MUSHROOM GRATIN WITH CHICKEN
INGREDIENTS
3 average-sized/1-1/2 lbs baking potatoes, thinly sliced
1-1/2 cups milk
3 Tbsp white wine
salt and pepper to taste
2 Tbsp Butter
2 Tbsp Olive Oil
1/4 tsp chopped garlic, approx 1 clove minced
4 oz shitake mushrooms finely sliced
3 stalks green onions sliced
1/2 rotisserie chicken leftovers cut small
1/4 lb jack cheese cubed


DIRECTIONS

1. Heat the oven to 425'F and butter a shallow baking dish or gratin.

2. Bring the sliced potatoes, milk, wine, salt and pepper to a boil in a saucepan, stirring occasionally, and leave at a simmer while you get on with the mushrooms.

3. Melt the butter in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil, garlic, mushrooms green onions and cook stirring occasionally, until softened, about 3 minutes.

4. Pour the mushrooms and their garlicky, buttery juices into the pan of potatoes, stir to mix. Warm up the chicken in the pan you were cooking mushrooms in. Once done, add to the potatoes. Mix to combine ingredients and pour straight into the gratin dish. Fold in cubed cheese. Bake for 45 minutes until piping hot, and crisp on the top.


The original recipe called for double the mushrooms - and cremini's, but I didn't realize that when I sifted through the bin at Henry's. In addition to the Chicken, the onions & cheese were wonderful additions that might make the dish a little more complex, but were much worth the extra few minutes to prepare.

Including chopping and extracting the chicken, this dish only took about 15 minutes to prepare. If I had planned it properly, I would have also combined some vegetable, maybe asparagus - and popped it in the oven 1 hour prior to dishing up for dinner so it had a few minutes to cool. Instead I just popped the kids dishes into the refrig. for a few minutes and we were good to go. I'm so looking forward to eating up the leftovers!

2 comments:

  1. Wow, looks really good! Happy SITS Monday night!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Charlene. This recipe looks delicious, and I'm going to try it. I cook like you do, by winging it according to what is in the grocery cupboard. The weather is getting very cold now and this looks like a great Winter Warmer.

    I might try bacon bits as well as/ instead of chicken.

    Would it be OK if I copied this recipe on my Blog, giving you the credit and a link back to your Blog? I'd love my friends to see your blog because the recipes are good, down to earth, easy and child friendly. In fact, it's a brilliant Blog. Well done you :))

    ReplyDelete